Tuesday, June 27, 2017

winding down

Well, as the sun sets behind me and the air temp begins to drop during "Captain's hour", I'm now down to 450NM until I reach the European continent, Portugal specifically. At roughly 150 miles per day that means the end of this transatlantic is "just" 3 days away. It was just a few years ago that I took my first blue water trip with John Kretschmer to get my "feet wet" in regards to ocean sailing. That was a 500 mile jaunt from Tortola to Grenada and back. I recall what a weird feeling it was when we were around halfway to Grenada. We were at least 100 miles from the nearest land and many of us were thinking "what if something goes wrong?" Help is a looong way off. I've definitely had twinges of those same feelings on this trip but this time the voice was just a tiny whisper and of course I needed to add a zero on the distance :-)
The pace of life onboard is so much slower than "land life" I suppose it's a good thing that I have a final busy leg through the Mediterranean and a bit of a race to catch a flight before I call this adventure done. I have a possible flight on July 7 out of Toulouse but the odds aren't great that I'll be able to make that flight as it looks like in the best case I can get in to Canet-en-Roussillon late on July 6. That's cutting it tight considering that I need to travel 100 miles to get to the Toulouse airport with public transportation and, get this, their signs are all in French! Crazy, eh? Oh yeah, I'll also be hauling 3 big bags of "stuff" and my backpack. A fitting end to this adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment