Tuesday, June 27, 2017

parting is such sweet sorrow...

Cruising along slowly this morning at 4.7 kn under full main and full genoa. Genoa, you ask? Why not the Gennaker?
Well that's a bit of a long story. I've had the dreaded halyard twist problem once again. I fought with it for over two hours yesterday as I knew I was going to want to use the gennaker when I found some wind. Try as I might, I could not get the twist out and therefore couldn't hoist the gennaker. I ended up resorting to not using the 2 to 1 ratio as the halyard system is designed and instead just hoisted it directly. The gennaker flew just fine until 5 AM this morning at which time the halyard parted and the sail flopped down into the water :-( There's no damage to the sail; but my pride took another harsh blow (is there anything left of it?) Fortunately I've had several people aboard much smarter than me look at the problem and weren't able to immediately figure out the cause so at least I'm in good company :-)
So that's why the genoa is now in service.
When I get to Faro I'll probably drop a new halyard in place for the Mediterranean leg.

No comments:

Post a Comment