Wednesday, June 21, 2017

making progress

The rainy & cold weather has stayed with me all day but fortunately so has the strong following wind and swell. I haven't had to trim the sails or adjust course in hours; we continue to make great progress at 9+ knots all day. At dusk the wind quieted down a couple knots but we're still surfing down waves with some frequency.
I've been sewing the gennaker pretty much the whole day; 11 hours so far with maybe an hour left to go. The wind is supposed to diminish significantly as I approach Faial as is typical. A high pressure system called the Azores High sits over the general area more often than not. The typical route is to navigate to the north of Faial, then drop down. Obviously I chose not to do that on this trip and it looks like my gamble is going to pay off as there is a large area of calms predicted to be just to the north for the next few days. I've reserved enough fuel to be able to motor most of the time for the last 150 miles or so. Hopefully the gennaker is happy tomorrow and can take some advantage of the 5 knot winds that are predicted to start at dawn tomorrow.
224NM to Horta, Faial

No comments:

Post a Comment