Saturday, June 10, 2017

nighttime

0300 and all is well.
It's a quiet night out here in the North Atlantic. Very low winds; fortunate to have a gennaker as it's a workhorse in these conditions as it doesn't need constant trimming and is made of a light enough fabric that it can stay inflated with light wind velocity so it's quiet too. The main was making a racket as it slatted in the light wind so I took it down.
I've been tired today, probably due to not sleeping much last night in anticipation of an early morning start. So I've had lots of 18-minute naps. Yes, I've allotted more sleep time per cycle since I haven't seen one boat today other than a huge power boat that I followed out of the Bermuda channel. They were going at a fast clip eastbound and were quickly out of sight. I have a feeling I'm not going to see much traffic on this leg. I have my AIS alarm set to its highest sensitivity to give me 24 minutes notice of any ship that will come within 2 miles from me. Of course,the bigger concern are the boats that don't have AIS but they would mostly be going slow (like me) and in the same direction so there would be over an hour for one of us to overtake the other. But I suppose there are always those masochists out there to consider that cross oceans against the prevailing winds in small boats so keeping a sharp lookout is prudent.
The rain stopped several hours ago. It's a semi-dark night, the full moon is behind heavily overcast skies so it provides some dim illumination of the water as I look out. There's not much of a swell, maybe 2-3 feet from the aft quarter.

No comments:

Post a Comment