Tuesday, June 13, 2017

speed

I've hardly touched the sail trim this afternoon and we continue to rocket along wing-on-wing. I may have to tone down my future commentary that cats don't like wind from directly abaft. When I feel the boat surge I sometimes sneak a peak at the SoG (speed over ground) gauge and many times it is at 9 knots. It's a real spirit lifter as the last few days of no wind sometimes has had me in the mental doldrums.
I checked the fuel usage today. Amazingly, after having the starboard engine on for about 48 hours, 2/3's of the starboard tank remains! And I haven't touched the port tank other than a short period maneuvering in port so it's still at 99%. That's definitely a lesson for me as it's a very different result than when I've run the engines at 2100RPM. While 1500RPM doesn't push the boat very fast (~4 knots) it helps to lift spirits seeing a 4+ on the SOG gauge instead of 1 or 2.
We're currently 1294NM from Flores; Horta is about 130 miles further on. I was originally hoping for a June 23 landfall in Horta but I already used up my "cushion" days. We'll just have to see what the weather gods have in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment