Wednesday, June 28, 2017

change is in the....

I found out early today that Pete would be unable to join me in Portugal. So I've now changed my next destination to Gibraltar which is 439NM away. I've had great wind all day today making a steady 8-9knots directly on the rhumb to Gib under 1st reef main and full genny. The seas are up to 2+ meters now and coming from just a little aft of the port beam so it's a little bit uncomfortable but not bad. The positive mental energy of going fast toward my destination diminishes the impact of getting tossed around a bit. If this wind holds I'll be out of the Atlantic in 3 days.
I'm seeing lots of ship traffic now. A hour ago I had three ships in sight at the same time and currently have the Zim Ontario passing me bound for New York. I'll have to be more vigilant until I get through the Straits of Gibraltar to make sure I don't end up like a bug on a windshield but with AIS and radar all should be fine.

2 comments:

  1. Aww What a shame! I hope Pet is well!
    Come Greg! you are almost there!!
    Don't forget to go see the monkeys this time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya Carlos! It was the same old story for me, I'm afraid, but I had the sense not to burden Greg with my weaknesses this time. A sick crewmate is like being two men down. He sounded a little relieved. ;-)

    Hope you're doing well. Drop me a line sometime.

    ReplyDelete