Wednesday, January 18, 2017

night-time visitor

As Paddy was doing the watch handoff to me at 1am, something hit me in the thigh as I was sitting on the cockpit table. It was quite dark out; I thought maybe Paddy had dropped something. When we turned a light on this is what we discovered, a flying fish. I'm not sure who was more startled, he or I. OK, probably him I suppose ;-)
Especially after I used a flash to take his picture!
We occasionally see these fish dash out of waves and fly sometimes great distances (30ft or more?) to evade capture.
We threw this guy back in to fly another day.

4 comments:

  1. Crazy and amazing. I didn't know flying fish had "wings"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Supposed to be good eating - as long as they're eaten fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad he didn't hit you in the head. Looks like he has a bit of mass to him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just about to ask today if any of you had been whacked upside the head by a flying fish on night watch yet. They're such funny things, but they don't half give you a fright when they suddenly land on you at 3am!

    ReplyDelete