Friday, January 20, 2017

Gennaker halyard replacement

We had an absolutely beautiful day in store for us today. Unfortunately this brought with it a little dread on my part. Since the prior day we have had just the main and genoa up but today's weather begged for more sail area. To top it off, another rally competitor was gaining on us. We could see them on the horizon behind us flying a big, bold, colorful spinnaker. I knew I had to solve the gennaker halyard problem. The wave action was just unsettled enough that it caused me concern of getting battered against the mast once I got up high as all the deck pitching gets amplified the higher up you go.
But we put a plan together and completed the task in less than 30 minutes. In the picture you can see my death grip of my leg around the mast. I have a couple bruises to show for my efforts but none the worse for wear overall.
After the gennaker was raised and with Ben on the helm steering us as we surfed down wave after wave, we put some distance between us and the boat behind us. They doused their spinnaker at sunset and shortly thereafter disappeared below the horizon.
A small but notable victory!

3 comments:

  1. It's not a race: until there's another sail in sight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent work, I have some great pics from when I was up the mast during our crossing, it's pretty scary but also exhilarating! And well done for steaming ahead of your competitor. Looking at the chart with locations it seems that may have been "Ghost" as they are nearest to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's my brudda! Well done! love you! xoxo ~ c.

    ReplyDelete