Friday, July 7, 2017

The U.S. of A.

It's been an eye-opening experience as I've gone from country to country how different the US is from most other countries. As we are flying towards Portland, there was an announcement on filling out the US immigration/customs form. Do NOT do an upstroke on the "1" and do not cross the "7". In Europe, a one tends to be written like an inverted "V". The opposite does not happen, when entering Europe (or other countries I've visited) they do not tell you how to write your characters with conformity. Overall, we seem much more restrictive, as I learned when trying to bring my boat into the US. We seem to hold a very unusual place in the world today. I'm curious if those that have traveled more extensively than I feel the same.

2 comments:

  1. It's hard for most Americans to appreciate how America is so different, even the ones who have done a bit of travelling, which is odd given just how diverse American society actually is. You even have rules that differ from one state to another within the same country. That's very strange to the rest of us.

    Glad you're back on home soil and I hope it's not too much of a culture shock for you. If it is, feel free to head over to us for a wee sail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last I checked you have a fair amount of "rule" differences within the UK also, eh? That's a bit, what's the word... daft, to the rest of us. :-)
    I suspect we both use the word "United" to mean, "joined together but inherently different"

    ReplyDelete