Monday, April 17, 2017

morning routine

Before I start my sleep cycle each night, I make sure the boat is in good condition, hatches are closed, sufficient battery charge to last through the night (have to have an autopilot to sleep at all, he needs electricity), and review any course changes required through the night. I know I won't be 100% mentally functional so I try to keep everything easy.
Then I set my alarm for 20 minutes, do a horizon scan looking for any boat lights that are not displayed on the chart plotter (nav display). If all is quiet , and it usually is, I try to go asleep quickly. I can do the scan in a little over 30 seconds so 19 minutes later my alarm goes off and I do another scan. This continues until morning or some other issue comes up. Last night a Carnival cruise ship decided to turn around by me at 2am. For awhile he was headed directly toward me from about 3 miles away. That's very close considering the speed they travel, 20 knots, and I was going 9 knots so we had a closing speed of 29knots. Not much time to do anything. Also I didn't know his intentions. Just as I was about to call on the radio he started turning. Once he passed me I went back to sleep.
When I wake up each morning around dawn I first do a horizon check, then adjust the sails as I sail more conservatively at night. Next I brush my teeth, yes, the boat gremlins returned my toothbrush. (They left it outside behind a cushion), and start a weather download while I eat my favorite breakfast (lately). Super simple and easy cleanup :-)

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy these daily/nightly agenda recaps. It really gives a good feeling of what you are experiencing. It's crazy to think you are only sleeping 20min at a time! You must go to sleep much faster than the average bear or you might not end up getting much sleep at all! Keep up the blogging. I enjoy following along! -Bud

    ReplyDelete