Monday, April 17, 2017

Fair winds and following seas

After several days of somewhat punishing weather a beautiful one was sent my way. Wave heights have diminished and I finally have a downwind day. I had anxiety for this day as I knew I would want to use the gennaker and had halyard twist problems the last time I used the code zero (same halyard as the gennaker).
The last time it was a whole crew effort to get the failed hoist attempt back down. With "minimal" crew this time I knew this could be a struggle as those that have been with me can attest. So I started by hoisting a line instead of a sail and working out the halyard twist. Then as I was about to hoist the gennaker, I added a downhaul line above the swivel that attaches to the head of the sail. I hoisted the sail and voila!
No issues!!!

1 comment:

  1. At least it wasn't midnight, big swell, green crew, escaping tender, and a new experience. ;-)

    I'm still wishing I was there.

    ReplyDelete