Saturday, February 4, 2017

Ship-shape

They say if you look at puffy clouds you can see lots of different shapes in them. I spy the shape of a ship. Maybe I've just been at sea for too long...



Spent a good chunk of yesterday cleaning up the boat and preparing to leave on Friday morning. Fortunately Antoine's sticking around Barbados for awhile so the boat will still look lived-in. I'm preparing to land in Dallas in a few minutes  and trying to sort out all that's happened. It's been 28 days since I've been home. When I used to work for Andersen Consulting I occasionally was away for up to 14 days but communication with Sallie was so much simpler. Between AT&T screwing up my account (no voice or data service) and the antenna problems with the sat phone, I was hard pressed to communicate via voice when on land or at sea. Of course, as those that followed the blog could tell based on the image quality improvement, it got significantly better when I moved the antenna, but voice calls still weren't great as we often had to redial a couple of times to have a 10 minute conversation. I'm going to research alternative antennas to see if I can improve the quality further. But staying in touch is difficult when comms are shoddy and you know the other person is a quarter of a work away. I can't wait to get back on my "home turf".  This is a bigger landing than tying up in Barbados! We just pulled up to the jetway at DFW. Someone throw the ground crew a line  and make it fast (tie it to a cleat). I'm home!!!Time for celebration!On Sunday I get to celebrate again when the Pats are victorious in the Superbowl!!

(for some reason all of this didn't post on my first or second attempt)

No comments:

Post a Comment