Thursday, February 23, 2017

MDI

I ended up talking to several people yesterday that know tons about the problem I'm having with that part on the engine (called an MDI). My engines are 2016 Volvo D2-40's. It's a technical problem that Volvo hasn't figured out how to fix even though they've had the problem for years. I spoke with the manager of Dream Yacht Charters here. He's been through many of these on his boats. A month ago he had a team of 5 people from Volvo engineering here for a week to try to resolve the problem in his fleet of boats with new engines but no success. He continues to be plagued with the problem.
I also ran into Michel from the French boat "Spica", which was part of the rally. He has a new Outremer 45 and has had the same troubles. He was carrying a spare MDI and needed to have his replaced here in Martinique as he could no longer start one of his engines. They have a switch wired in to allow them to start their engine if it fails again. I was planning to do the same.
Now that I know how to work around the problem I'm not worried about it anymore. It's only a pain because I need to go into the engine room to start and stop the engine. I'll solve that next :-)

1 comment:

  1. I am continually amazed by the amount of information available on this subject. What you presented was well researched and well worded in order to get your stand on this across to all your readers.
    Luxury Yachts Cabo

    ReplyDelete