Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Engine problems

I don't think I mentioned previously (but maybe I did) that I have had recurring engine problems. Sporadically I haven't had the ability to start the engine. I've done quite a bit of troubleshooting but the problem persists. This got worse on the way to Martinique. Once I got the port engine started I left it running but eventually got concerned that there wasn't enough fuel to keep it going all the way to Martinique so I decided to turn it off. Unfortunately it didn't like that idea and wouldn't allow me to turn it off. There is always the option on a diesel to manually shut off the fuel supply to force it off but I have to get into the engine compartment from the stern steps which I don't like to do at night when at sea. Shortly after I was in procrastination mode we hit a big wave which caused the fuel to slosh in the tank and some air to get in the fuel line. Diesel engines HATE air in their fuel supply so it decided it was time to go to sleep.
As we approached Martinique I tried to restart the engine but to no avail.
Since I have limited maneuverability with one engine I decided to anchor out for the night instead of trying to make it to the fuel dock in a busy port.
The next morning I got up before the sun to start troubleshooting. I eventually narrowed it down to the MDI block (an electrical part). I also figured out how to start the engine by hot wiring it. This was a big breakthrough.
In the meantime, Carlos jumped in to start scrubbing barnacles off the starboard prop and rudder. Once I had my hotwiring process figured out I scrubbed the barnacles from the port side.
The barnacles on the prop had a very deleterious effect on performance; it was immediately apparent once I did a test run after the scrubbing. It felt like a new boat once again.
We then ran down to the fuel dock and put in 310 liters of fuel and found a berth in the marina. What a difference a day makes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment