Monday, October 10, 2016

Welcome to Barcelona

I survived the night flight to Barcelona. From the airport I had planned to just grab a taxi to get to my hotel due to the fact that I'm carrying about 100 pounds of baggage. But when I got to the taxi stand the posted fare to downtown Barcelona was €39. Ouch! Since I have plenty of time this morning I decided to try to navigate the subway. I purchased an "airport" ticket from the machine for €4.5, eventually found the train and hopped on it. From the map on the train it appeared that I could exit and catch my next train but the ticket I had was not valid for that train. So no big deal, I'll just buy another ticket. However, this ticket machine was different. I was expecting to be able to buy a single day ticket to go wherever I wanted like I'm used to in New York City but this doesn't appear to be an option here. You need to know which zone you want to travel to to be able to buy a ticket but I couldn't figure out the zones. I walked up and hailed a taxi. The taxi cost €10 so I got a bit of an education and saved €25! By the way, taxis here don't take credit; fortunately I had a few euros from a prior trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment